Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

How I Spent My Summer Vacation 2009

The third year that I taught art I found out about School Arts Magazine. I wrote my first article for them and it was published in October 2007, titled Rapunzel's Tower. (Eventually, I will figure out how to add a link to it on this blog.)

Anyway, when reading the magazine I came across an article about their Santa Fe Summer Workshops.  Wow, I mean WOW! There were two of them that summer! I signed up for the one titled Pueblo Indian Art and Culture. Nancy Walkup, editor of School Arts Magazine would be leading this opportunity for professional development. WOW! Quick where do I sign?
We met with several Native Americans that shared their art making with us.
I made a pinch pot and got to see it fired in the ground.
We stopped at this church which looked really familiar.
I had just had this poster of Georgia O'Keeffe's painting of Rancho de Taos hanging up outside the art room before school let out. WOW! 
In case you were wondering what the front of the church looked like:
When I returned to school I shared all these photos with my students. And one of them asked me what did the inside of the church look like?  Somewhat embarrassed I had to admit to visiting a nearby Trading Post instead of going inside. Silly me.......


We also had the opportunity to visit Native American sculptor Roxanne Swentzell in her studio Tower Gallery.

Where we met and watched Ms. Swentzell work on a commissioned  piece, which I believe was for the convention center. WOW! I have seen Roxanne Swentzell's work when visiting the National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, DC. AND her work is featured in the art textbooks that I have in my art room! WOW! And you better believe I returned the following summer to see the finished piece installed. Yes, I returned to take the Folk Art Traditions and Beyond Workshop. More on that another time.
 
These workshops were amazing.  I heard they have evolved and gotten even better over the last few years. It is definitely worth looking into. Email Nancy Walkup  nwalkup@davisart.com for info.

Taking time for professional development is a great way to meet other like minded colleagues from around the country to share resources and good times with! I know I have. What will your plans for next summer be? Thanks for reading!











No comments:

Post a Comment