Pages

Sunday, November 26, 2017

Positive and Negative Space

My state standards include teaching 3rd graders about Positive and Negative Space. I provided patterns and a storyboard for this lesson. And while many of you frown about "cookie cutter" lessons, you gotta start somewhere. You can also consider this a practice lesson and have students create they own pattern for Higher Order Thinking.

The first class I did this lesson with, I had a lot of confused students. That's what made me decide to have patterns available for them. (Positive/Negative pattern is available under the Resource page.) Next time I plan to photocopy patterns onto colored paper to make it even easier for them. We had a discussion on what positive and negative space is.

Students picked out a pattern and got a 12x41/2" black piece of construction paper, and a 9x12" piece of white drawing paper.

Students learned about making a continuous cut and were cautioned that there were no scraps with this project. (Except for the pattern pieces.)

They were instructed after cutting everything out to place down their cut pieces before gluing them.
Students who finished early were sent around to help others.

When children returned the following week to art they were instructed on how to use the white pencil on the black side and the black pencil on the white side to add details. Symmetry was reviewed and expected as part of their project. Black and white paper could also be used for details.



Students loved doing this and many of these wonderful projects will be out on display for the 3rd grade concert next month. The 4th and 5th graders were disappointed they weren't doing them.

Check out my blog post from the last time I did this lesson: Art on a Cart. Definitely art cart friendly!

Hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving break! I've got some new lessons I'll be doing between now and the winter break. Can't wait to share them!

Thanks for Reading!






1 comment: