Pages

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Mini Art


Wow! Where has the time gone? It's been OVER a week since my last blog and I have NO idea what has kept me SO busy........  However, it appears I am on level 327 of Candy Crush.......
I seriously need to get an exercise bike to use when I play, this way I can burn calories as I lose brain cells.
Back to blogging........ I mentioned in a previous post that my students exhibit at a local museum.
The exhibit will be up middle of January to the middle of February.  I have planned a field trip for the fourth grade to see, not only their work in the student gallery, but other galleries as well. When I do this exhibit of student work, I try to consider what will be hanging up in the other galleries at the same time. AND there will be an exhibit from The Miniature Art Society of Florida. Soooooo I showed my students this video-of The Miniature Art Society's display at the Leepa-Rattner. Introduced them to a display of art posters that I put up AND then tied it in with the concept of Artist Trading Cards then they got to work!
I told students to think of their favorite projects from previous years to inspire them. One of last year's favorite projects was our 17th century ships. I also had an example of a Grant Wood landscape I was doing with the 2nd & 3rd grade up on the board.
I felt the need to bring home all the mini art, to mount, since I'm on winter break.
Check it out! Some of you may notice that I am using covers that were left over from the sketchbooks. Also, it occurred to me that I could use the scrap paper, the wonderful data entry person, always saves for me. (Thank you, Patty!!)


I consider this to have been a really great lesson from many different perspectives. First of all the cost to do this was ZERO! Second, students actually finished their work (and many of them more then one piece). Third, it freed up the students to do something that was somewhat unstructured (in other words, I was pushing the creativity aspect). And finally, most of them will get to see their work in a REAL, LIVE MUSEUM! 
Are there things I would do differently next time? Upon reflection, yes, I think I was a little unprepared. Next time I need to consider starting earlier, and perhaps push the different genres or art styles a little more. Maybe have more samples of previous student work up OR have students complete mini art before or after doing larger art. It's all good, us art teachers are the best at being lifetime learners!

Thanks for reading! Hope you all have a wonderful winter break!
And, let me know if you have a museum that displays work from your students!











No comments:

Post a Comment