Pages

Sunday, April 1, 2018

NAEA in Seattle



On my way home from Seattle and the 2018 NAEA conference, I had time to reflect on the wonderful experiences I had.

Wednesday I took a pre-conference paid workshop titled Inspired by the Northwest k-12 Curriculum. The room was set up with 12 different stations with teachers, each with a different lesson. (Didn't get all the stations.)




In 3 hours we were able to attend four 40 minute lessons. Yes, it was very hard to choose!! It was a little easier when I decided I didn't want to get dirty....... AND we did receive a disc with ALL the lessons on it.

The tables I went to provided me with a lesson on the tidal basins using model magic.  

                                                                  -my sample-
 A spirit mask with air dry clay, a tin embossing project.
                                                         -my sample-
                                                          -student sample-
 and a bentwood box.
                                                       -teacher sample-
Thursday I went to sessions on Working with Adaptive Art, which I found to be very interesting. It was about giving all students the same experiences only adapted to what the student can use.


Inspiring & Experimental Design Thinking Art making Activities, this was all about mini challenges in designing with different items. Fun to see what people came up with.

We made a chair, self portrait with paper clips and an organizer for a wheelchair bound student.


And The Vital Role of Art Education for Students who have Experienced Psychological Trauma. This was amazing because unfortunately I believe I encounter way too many students experiencing trauma......

Friday was Art Chopped a take off of a show on the food network and a Coptic marker demonstration.
                                                                                             with Emily Samuels
In chopped you must use everything in the bag for your creation.

I left early on the last day of the conference which was Saturday, I needed a day to travel and another to recoup before heading back to work on Monday.


In addition to the sessions and workshops there was a vendors hall that I spent time making stuff. 

While all that made for a super good time the VERY best part is connecting with other art teachers! Saw old friends, met new friends and got to meet some Facebook friends! Many of which are blogging buddies.
                            with Jen Dahl                                  Phyllis Brown & Cindy Ingram
                                                               with Amy Bultena

Went to the Frye Museum with a Florida buddy. There was a large salon filled with amazing art and an exhibit of deconstructed canvas by Ko Kirk Yamahira.

                                with Glenda Lubiner
Also had some professional meet ups. I'm on the teacher advisory board for Faber-Castell. That was a  very  productive meeting and we got to play with a new product. Thanks Christa! 
 This new marker has a retractable point, so it should keep it's point longer!

School Arts magazine had an author's reception and I have written many clip cards lately. Thanks Nancy and Julian! 


Also, Art Class Curator had a meet up and that woman knows how to stuff a swag bag! 
             Thanks Cindy Ingram. (There are actually 2 things missing........)

I was lucky the conference was during my spring break. Even though I know my principal would cover my sub for me.  

If you were at the conference what was your favorite part?

Thanks for Reading!













No comments:

Post a Comment