Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Getting Published

 Getting published is EXCITING!! I know I shared recently that I had Clip Cards published in School Arts Magazine in November and December. WELL, I also had one published in this month's issue.

I thought I would share that lesson.
Reading a book always works for me to motivate my students. In this case when it comes to rainbows I have two different books I like to share.

A Rainbow of My Own can be purchased from Amazon click here.
Pete's Rainbow I purchased at a museum gift shop when I was in Ireland. I did find it at Amazon.co.uk  here.

After reading the book, I modeled the steps for them and stated my expectations.

It's not a lesson that should take a long time. And it would make a good lesson to leave with a substitute teacher. They did a really nice job!
I love when a lesson combines concepts. And I really like doing pattern related lessons with them. Adding patterns to art work adds interest and depth to the work. I guess that's why my other two clip cards also involved patterns.

Anyway, in reviewing the EOC's my students took at the end of the last school year I noticed I didn't focus as much on comparing differences and similarities across various cultures. I have included a resource from Nancy Walkup, editor of School Arts Magazine that would be wonderful in teaching patterns. Even if all you share are the magnificent photographs. I believe this lesson would also be very valuable in opening up a dialog about how different cultures can be compared and contrasted.
The article is from SCHOOLARTSROOM.COM Understanding the Art of Islam.

Oh and since I'm sharing my published articles, the first article I had published was in the October 2007 issue of School Arts Magazine.
 Then in October 2010, under Managing the Art Room.
And December 2010.
 The links will get you to the magazine and the table of contents will get you to the articles. Really need to find time to do MORE articles. And remember School Arts Magazine is always looking for articles from us art teachers. Click here for their guidelines.

I am curious as to whether any of you out there has a lesson you were like to get published? Please feel free to bounce those ideas off me!

Thanks for reading!






3 comments:

  1. Nice work! This is a cute lesson. You are doing such a nice job with your blog and I'm so proud of you for submitting art to SchoolArts. It's fun to see the work your students create in such a respected publication.

    MiniMatisse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. It means a lot. I'm totally enjoying the blogging and advocating for the arts. And I enjoy reading your blog and articles in SchoolArts.

      Delete
  2. Yea Sheryl!!! I think you are absolutely fabulous... and you have really inspired your little "grasshopper" - the art teacher next door! ;)

    ReplyDelete