Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2015

The First Week: Welcome and Rules

 For the first week of art I always welcome them back and go over the rules. This year however it's welcome to the new ART ROOM! I will give students the opportunity to have a look around and play a game of "I Spy the ...." With the new room/school year I also updated my rules.

With that in mind I made some new posters. We have all seen the above poster or a variation of it as a method to rein in our students. So while I would desperately like to give credit where credit is due, I'm afraid I wouldn't know where to start. Just gonna say THANK YOU! AND I'm looking forward to trying this out in my art room this year!

I remade the sign on the left. It had been one big long blah, blah, blah, on a poster that was too small to read. I also remade the sign for having a safe art room. That was previously on a poster with photos and a lot of unnecessary info.

I always plan for a short activity for students on their first day of art. They will all get sketchbooks. K-2 will do a Summer Memories in a Jar, thank you Artsy Fartsy Art Room.

I have done sketchbooks for the last two years. The first year through a grant and last year through the generosity of my son's friend.  I did them with only my 4th and 5th graders. This year I have decided to do them with all the students. The question of course, is how to do this cheaply. Office Depot is a vender for our district, so the prices in the photos are if you walked into the store to buy these items. I know I paid less.  I really felt compelled to buy the copy paper with the holes, as it would really save on labor. 5000 sheets of paper with 3 holes apiece...........

 My little kinders and first graders will get 10 blank sheets in a folder to start with. That is one of the reasons, I think, I'm going to like the prong folders. We will be able to add to them.

By the way, a BIG SHOUT OUT to Mrs. Hall's daughter for putting ALL those sketchbooks for the little ones together! THANK YOU EMILY!!
 My second graders  will get 10 blank sheets and some lined paper for note taking. (The line paper was donated.) They will make their own books.
 For 3rd, 4th and 5th grade they will get the 10 blank sheets and some lined paper. In addition to that, they will get a page with sketchbook suggestions, and another page listing the Elements & Principles of Art that they will be required to fill in as we progress through the year.
They will also put their own books together. I have set the stuff up on the back tables and I will assign a helper from each table to facilitate. Then we will start to think about our first project.
                                  SELF-PORTRAITS!
We will look at different portraits, I added the Key Words and some questions from the back of these posters to the front to spark conversations with my students.

Yes, that is a portrait in the upper left hand corner of the photo below.  

 They will need to think about self-portraits in a very different way.

Below are 3 posters. The first one is from Box Artist and can be found here, the second poster is mine. I was inspired by Box Artist and the third poster is hanging up in the new art room of Kristen Trent Bourdier, who apparently I inspired! AND that is why I'm blogging to inform and INSPIRE!  Have an awesome 1st year Kristen! I'm SO happy for you!

What do all of you do the first week of art? I would love to hear from you!
Oh, not sure where I will be fitting in The Statue of Liberty from last week. Just found out the park is under construction. I may do the younger grades during Freedom Week in September.

Thanks for reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment