Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2018

Learning Lines with Scratch Board


Three years ago when we moved back into our newly renovated space I had some serious money in which to stock up my art room. One of the things I decided to buy was a couple of scratch board kits.
Apparently I didn't buy enough for everyone to do it. Besides the kits came with these sharp scratch tools-so only 4th and 5th could do it. More about that next time..........

However trying to do similar projects/lessons with my students prompted me to come up with a way for the students in k-3rd to do scratch board.

I was gifted a full box of cardboard which would be perfect for students to color on with oil pastels. They are much more vibrant and smoother to work with than crayons. They then painted over their art with black acrylic paint. Some of the students didn't understand and weren't too happy about that. The following week was definitely the aha moment!


 I set up a station for students on the back counter to paint.

To inspire my students I shared this book, I Want to Draw I Want to Paint by Marilyn Traeger with them that I received at the FAEA conference last year. I actually got to meet the author, a retired art teacher who has a foundation to raise money for art supplies for low income students.


Since I see only one section of a grade level a day, I created these little signs that hang on my drying rack to help keep track of student work.

The second week of the lesson I share the book Art Is.... by Bob Raczka.
I also drew an assortment of lines on the board to teach/review with students.

 I demonstrated different ways to use lines in art to each grade level. They could do simple line designs, snakes, letters-basically up to them.  My daughter also made stencils for me using her Cricut with some donated card stock.


 I decided to display some of the finished work during our "Meet the Teachers" night. I decided based on all the classes I saw that day and had time to hang up.... (Above is from a 2nd grade class.)

It was fun to see the reveal as each student scratched off the black paint. Students were able to color the cardboard any way they wanted to. Which created some awesome effects.
I got a kick out of this t-shirt worn by one of my students, it went perfect with the lesson!

Thanks for Reading!

How do you teach lines to your students?








No comments:

Post a Comment