Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2018

Illuminated Letters and Learning Lines

 As promised last time here is the lesson I presented to my 4th and 5th graders. They did illuminated letters. I found an excellent SlideShare by Amy E. Bruce on the internet that gives a history of illuminated letters. I shared the basic info with students,  but chose different media.

Students first did a rough sketch.

Then I made sure to let them practice on a small piece of scratch board to get a feeling for the medium. I let them know they were only getting one good piece of scratch board and any mistakes were going to be part of their creative process. "Make it work!" as Tim Gunn would say.

They got a stern lecture on the scratch tool being a tool and not a weapon and if used as a weapon there would be a referral in their future.....BTW I always count the tools at the end of class.



Students used metallic markers to add illumination or faux gold leaf.

They did a great job!

Thanks for Reading!








No comments:

Post a Comment