Pages

Friday, April 3, 2015

Tick Tock-Still Making Clocks!

Continuing from the other day: My unit on Functional Art-

This lesson for my 2nd, 4th and 5th graders started out with a power point. (3rd graders were busy on another project.)

After a short discussion of functional  art, I started the power point.

One of the slides had the students compare and contrasting the above clocks.

We then talked about how to plan our clock according to the following questions on this slide. Then they each received a worksheet with these questions.

We looked at slides with different themed clocks. Here is one example.
We considered what shape our clock should be.
What should our numbers and hands look like.

I have a big supply of donated cardboard that the students painted their clocks on. The cardboard is pretty thick, so I though the students should consider the background of the cardboard to be the wall they would hang the clock on. This way we wouldn't need to cut them out.

Students were encouraged to create a pattern or shape for their clock on the back of their worksheet. I did offer tracers for some of the younger and less confident students. I also went on the internet for some free coloring sheets for their requested shapes.
When students were ready to paint, I spoke to them about the different size paint brushes and when to use them.

    
I had some packing corners left from some computers and students used them to make desk clocks.
Not everyone has finished making their clocks, so I will publish more photos another time!

I haven't even finished my sample......... Where does the time go?
By the way, am I the only one who doesn't finish stuff??

Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment